Meet the Faculty
Christine Costello, Ph.D.
Assistant Research Professor
- Phone: 573-882-1114
- E-mail: email@example.com
- Address: 244 Ag Eng Bldg.
- Ph.D. Carnegie Mellon University, 2011, Civil and Environmental Engineering
- M.S. Carnegie Mellon University, 2007, Civil and Environmental Engineering
- B.S. Temple University, 2003, Environmental Engineering Technology
- Costello's research interests include systems sustainability, specifically the evaluation of greenhouse gas emissions, nutrient flows, water and land use associated with current and potential agricultural systems and management options.
- Costello uses life cycle assessment and fate and transport models to link land-based anthropogenic activities to impacts incurred by ecosystems. She is particularly focused on food consumption and the role of human behavior as a driver for agricultural production. Specifically, she uses environmentally-extended input-output life cycle assessment (EE-IO LCA) techniques to evaluate environmental impacts throughout production supply chains the U.S. economy.
- She also evaluates biofuels at the systems level using sustainability metrics, e.g., greenhouse gas emissions, nutrient pollution. Similarly she models how biofuel co-products, e.g., distillerвЂ™s grains, impact livestock and human feed/food production and supply chains.