Meet the Faculty
Kevin D. Gillis, Ph.D.
Bioengineering and Medical Pharmacology and Physiology
- Phone: 573-884-8805
- E-mail: GillisK@missouri.edu
- Address: 222B Dalton Cardiovascular Research Center
- D.Sc., M.S. and B.S. from Washington University in St. Louis
- B.A. from St. Louis University
- Postdoctoral training at Max Planck Institute for Biophysical Chemistry in Goettingen, Germany
- Biomedical engineering, electrophysiology, exocytosis and bio-micro electro-mechanical systems (BioMEMS).
- Gillis is an associate professor in the Biological Engineering Department with a joint appointment in
the department of medical pharmacology and physiology. He is also an investigator at the Dalton Cardiovascular
Research Center at the University of MissouriвЂ“Columbia. His current research includes developing microchip
devices to assay cell secretion. Gillis also is working on research that seeks to characterize fast and slow Ca2+
sensing for exocytosis in individual cells using state-of-the-art optical and patch-clamp techniques, which allow both
fine control of [Ca2+] and high-time-resolution measurements of the kinetics of exocytosis. His project's central
hypothesis is that there are multiple Ca2+ sensors that control distinct steps in exocytosis.
- BE 4070/7070, Bioelectricity